Sunday, April 6, 2014

Breathe Into Me by Sarah Fawkes, review by Dee

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



How did my life get so broken? It’s a question Lacey St. James asks herself every day. Stuck raising her little brother in a trailer park while she works a dead end job at a grocery store, she has a stalker exboyfriend, a bad reputation, and no way out.

And then, she meets Everett, who changes her entire existence.

Everett is an outsider who’s housesitting his family’s mansion off the coast, and for reasons Lacey can’t understand, he’s completely transfixed by her. He seems determined to show her that life can offer more than she’d ever hoped for, if only she believes in herself. She desperately yearns to trust him, but what happens when she finds out that everything he’s told her is a lie?


Let me start with a few things I noticed. There are some slight inconsistencies with the story line. At one point Lacey was talking to Everett on a couch, then all the sudden she is gripping her steering wheel and staring at the dash on her car, then the next minute, shes back on the couch. It didn't happen a lot but just once or twice at a pivotal moment, so I picked up on it. That being said... Let me get back to the book. I really really liked this book. It was very White Trash Beautifulesque. I seriously didn't think things could get any worse for Lacey, every time I felt like that, something else went wrong. And everytime something went wrong, I was sucked into a pit of dispair right along with her. Like how much is it going to take until she breaks. Then Everett comes along like a beautiful ray on sunshine...okay a hot ray of sunshine and brightens everything up.He really does brighten her life, and the story. Just when she needs to be pulled out of the darkness the most, he is there. And it's almost like she did the same for him. Tried to help pull him out of the darkness. Though, he surely likes to punish himself for things he didn't do. My heart broke for these two.. but once they were together, it's almost like that made the heartbreak heal. Everett really is the perfect match for Lacey. But let me tell you, I found myself smiling slowly as she started to realize she has people in her corner...when she started to realize she's not alone anymore. Her new landlord, her new friends, her family. She has family. The may not be blood, but that doesn't make someone family. And she got stronger. I was proud of her, is that weird?  I felt good for her by the end. Finally getting a life she deserves, rather than being crapped on by everyone. And she finally grew a backbone. I celebrated that little step. thank goodness she stopped letting so many people use her. Though, secretly I think her mom deserved more of a backlash than what she got. But.. it is what it is.. 

 I gave this book 3 hearts


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment