Thursday, June 18, 2015

~Author Spotlight: Tessa Bailey~








Name Tessa Bailey

Where you are from Originally from Southern California, currently living in Long Island, New York

Writing Genre Spicy Adult Contemporary as well as New Adult

Tell us about yourself I’m a typical writer. Neurotic, insecure and would rather exist in an imaginary world. LOL. I’m also a mother, a liquor enthusiast (after the kiddo goes to bed) and stubborn. Wow. I’m really selling myself here. I’m not all that bad. I think another trait of being a writer is seeing the worst in yourself, so there’s a perfect example!

Your latest work in progress I’m wrapping up the first in my upcoming MADE IN JERSEY series (coming in December). Blue-collar factory workers in suburban New Jersey. My hero in the first book is 22 and his love interest is 30, so that has been a really interesting dynamic to write.

When did you begin writing and why? I didn’t write seriously until after my daughter was born (4 years ago). I’d been home for a full year raising her and felt I needed a creative outlet. Badly. So I locked myself in the bedroom and wrote Protecting What’s His in three weeks. I really just needed somewhere to put all the emotion I’d been bottling up.

What inspires you to write? Everything. But I would say conversations with other authors get my juices flowing every single time. Put two of us in a room and we’ll plot a new series in fifteen minutes. It’s practically inevitable.

Are any of your books based on something personal that has happened in your life? Yes, sort of. My first New Adult book, UNFIXABLE, revolves around a stubborn artistic type falling for an Irish bartender. I’m married to a bartender from Dublin, so I guess you could say that was art imitating life J

Who are some of your favorite authors? Charlotte Stein, Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, Julie Garwood, Karen Marie Moning, Tara Sivec and Laura Kaye are some of my favorites.

Favorite book? Recently, I’ve enjoyed Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan and Taken by Charlotte Stein. Probably all of my sentimental faves are from Julie Garwood of Karen Marie Moning.

Would you change anything that has happened to you? No, I don’t think so. There are some embarrassing moments I would like to take back, but I wouldn’t change anything that got me to this point in my life. If I could go back in time, I might take a few more chances. Dance naked in a field or something.

Can you share some of your WIP? This is a snippet from CRASHED OUT (Made in Jersey #1) “You don’t make jokes about how bad I need you. Feeling like I might die without you wrapped around me isn’t funny.” – Sarge Purcell.

What’s the hardest part of writing? Discipline. We can all come up with a thousand stories, but sitting down and putting it on the page is the hard part.

Do you have any advice for other authors? Stand out. Don’t follow formulas. Write something that speaks to you even if people close to you are skeptical of its relevancy. Chances are, if something turns you on and makes your heart feeling something, there are people who will have the same experience.

Do you have any other hobbies? Going to spend time with my friends in Manhattan is my favorite thing to do. Having brunch. Finding new music. Running. Eating. Shopping online for dresses. We just bought our first house, so I’m also trying my hand at decorating. Spoiler: I’m not good at decorating.

Favorite TV show and song? Right now, I’m watching Banshee and it’s the most spectacular escapism I’ve found in a while. It’s gritty, hot, violent and totally implausible. I’m loving every second. My favorite shows of all time are probably Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation and Flight of the Conchords. My favorite song is “Where is My Mind” by the Pixies.


Fast Fire Round Pick One:

Dildo or vibrator? Vibrator
Inside or Outside? Inside
Hard or Rough? Rough
Beard or No Beard? Stubble
Long Hair or Short? Long(ish) hair
Sour or Sweet? Sweet
Top or Bottom? Bottom
Missionary or Doggiestyle? DOGGIE
Tall or Short? Tall
Ice Cream or Candy? Ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment