Thursday, February 26, 2015

Review of The Collectors Society by Heather Lyons





From the author of the Fate series and The Deep End of the Sea comes a fantastical romantic adventure that has Alice tumbling down the strangest rabbit hole yet.

After years in Wonderland, Alice has returned to England as an adult, desperate to reclaim sanity and control over her life. An enigmatic gentleman with an intriguing job offer too tempting to resist changes her plans for a calm existence, though. Soon, she’s whisked to New York and initiated into the Collectors’ Society, a secret organization whose members confirm that famous stories are anything but straightforward and that what she knows about the world is only a fraction of the truth.

It’s there she discovers villains are afoot—ones who want to shelve the lives of countless beings. Assigned to work with the mysterious and alluring Finn, Alice and the rest of the Collectors’ Society race against a doomsday clock in order to prevent further destruction . . . but will they make it before all their endings are erased?

*This is the first book in the Collectors' Society series.


First off the cover! The cover is simply amazing. I love the way it looks and the colors, so vibrant and alive.

This book had me captivated from the first chapter. As it continued I was intrigued. To find out this is not a retelling of Alice in Wonderland rather this is Alice's story of what happened AFTER it.

The premise is beyond words. I have never read anything like this. The fact that the author also brought to life many characters from beloved classics was exhilarating. I mean who thinks of stuff like this? How did she come up with this wonderful idea? 

Lets talk characters. Ok seriously this author is a genius. I am a huge lover of classics. When I saw characters from those book, and okay many of them werent original characters but great granddaughters, grandsons, neices ect it was still amazing to see. 

Huckleberry Finn or Finn...       

Can this guy be anymore perfect? Not the same Huck I read about in High School and I am okay with that. This guy, Finn, OH LAWD! I mean can he be anymore sexy, confident, alluring, just perfect? Amazing he is simply the most amazing male lead character I have read about in a while and it is simply refreshing. Oh and when they back into Wonderland and he has to see what was left behind, that could have broken some but Finn? nope not Finn.

Alice. Alright Alice WHAT THE HELL!!!???
This woman is definitely not the one I read about when I was little. She is kick ass, smart, funny, vulnerable and made me love her all over again. The author had a way of making Alice this woman who can handle her own as well as making her wide eyed and new to the world, a sort of innocence. I made me root for her. My heart broke for her when she had to return to Wonderland. To see what happened and why she left, oooh man I need that story!

Dr. Frankenstein. I don't know if any of you know this but Frankenstein is my FAVORITE classic. Like seriously I love this book. To see Dr. Frankenstein in this book was incredible. No, he is not the original but damn just reading about him again made me miss my crazy friend. 

The plot was unlike anything that I had ever read. That made me fall even harder for this book. Once you start to get the jest of the book it goes rapidly. Too rapidly for my taste. Yes its like 355 pages but seriously it was so good that it went by in a breeze. The writing is no complicated and I followed along with no issues. 

Overall this book was enthralling, had me at times at the edge of my seat. I wanted and needed more from this book so I am excited for the next one. 

Heather Lyon's book The Collectors Society is riveting, unique and had me staying up late because I needed to see what was going to happen next. The romance aspect had me in awe. To see these two characters come together in spite of the heart ache was the best.   



Heather Lyons is known for writing epic, heartfelt love stories often with a fantastical twist. From Young Adult to New Adult to Adult novels—one commonality in all her books is the touching, and sometimes heart-wrenching, romance. In addition to writing, she's also been an archaeologist and a teacher. She and her husband and children live in sunny Southern California and are currently working their way through every cupcakery she can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment