Monday, February 4, 2013

Review for Nets and Lies by Katie Ashley


Always awkward in her 5’10 frame, Melanie Reeves finds her saving grace through basketball. Not only is she the varsity team captain, she’s the pride of Coach Thompson, who holds the keys to a college scholarship. Melanie has also found 'courtly' love with Will, Coach T's handsome, ball-playing son. When Melanie is on the court, everything is perfect....until she is forced to face an opponent who doesn't play by the rules.

Jordan Solano's power lies in her beauty and sex appeal. Never afraid of breaking the rules, she engages in a scandalous flirtation with the school's married basketball coach. But the flirtation quickly turns into accusation, and Coach T's job and reputation are placed in jeopardy after Jordan charges him with rape. Jordan's own reputation has the school administration unwilling to believe her. That is, until she makes a startling claim - she's not the only victim.

Suddenly, all eyes are on Melanie, and it isn't for her amazing free-throws. A man's job, a girl's reputation, and her boyfriend's entire world now rest in Melanie's hands. She has to decide: keep her secrets and protect her future, or put an end to the lies...and lose everything.

*This book is New Adult and contains mature subject matter. TRIGGERS for rape survivors and sexual abuse victims**

**My Review**
WOW! This has to be one of the most powerful books I have read in a while. I was warned about the situation by Katie Ashley prior to accepting an ARC to do the review. Nets and lies brought out so many emotions with in me.

Gasp, did that really just happen.....then it went into


My mind was reeling from the turn of events.


then I was....



By the time I got to a certain part of the book, I had to put it down and walk away for a bit.

Whoa! We have 2 girls that are exact opposites yet are both victims. I could not understand certain decisions that Melanie made but, as I read the inner voice of Melanie, I could visualize and sympathize with the reasons why she did and said the things she did.

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan.....(sigh)
The other main female in the story. I was not to pleased with her at first but, as I continued reading her story, I understood her more and more, although I did not agree with her actions. All things will eventually do come to light. In a way I was upset with what she did, but then in another I was kind of glad that she did because with out that I do believe one of them would have hurt far worse for a lot longer. By the end of the story I was pleased with Jordan's outcome and was happy with where she ended up.

Although Katie Ashley's Net and Lies was a gut wrenching, roller coaster of emotions, I admired her for writing this story. I have known a few girls (now women) that have gone through, maybe not exactly but close to this story. I was drawn in and at times had to walk away for my own sanity, to just breathe and calm down, because I could literally feel all that anguish rolling off my computer. There are moments were I was glad to see that Melanie had such a great support system. Along the way both Melanie and Jordan find out what true friendships really are. 

       I rated this book: 
Where to buy Nets and Lies
AMAZON
Barnes and Nobles

Where to find Katie Ashley
Facebook
Blog

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! Outstanding review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I really appreciate that. Enjoy the book.

      Delete
  2. Adding this to my list of books to read. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that means a lot to me I truly appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. Great review. I felt the same way while reading this. I went from not caring for Jordan to feeling bad for her. My emotions for Mel was just wow.

      Delete