Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Screwdrivered by Alice Clayton, review by Dee

My rating: 3.5 of 5 hearts




Synopsis:
Readers back for a third round of the bestselling Cocktail series will enjoy a madcap romantic comedy about bodice ripping and chest heaving, fiery passion and love everlasting. Plus a dash of paperwork filing and horseshi—wait, what?

By day, Viv Franklin designs software programs. By night, Vivian’s a secret romance-novel junkie who longs for a knight in shining armor, or a cowboy on a wild stallion, or a strapping firefighter to sweep her off her feet. And she gets to wear the bodice—don’t forget the bodice.

When a phone call brings news that she’s inherited a beautiful old home in Mendocino, California from a long-forgotten aunt, she moves her entire life across the country to embark on what she sees as a great, romance-novel-worthy adventure. But romance novels always have a twist, don’t they?

There’s a cowboy, one that ignites her loins. Because Cowboy Hank is totally loin-ignition worthy. But there’s also a librarian, Clark Barrow. And he calls her Vivian. Can tweed jackets and elbow patches compete with chaps and spurs? You bet your sweet cow pie.

In Screwdrivered, Alice Clayton pits Superman against Clark in a hilarious and hot battle that delights a swooning Viv/Vivian.

Also within this book, an answer to the question of the ages: Why ride a cowboy when you can ride a librarian?





Okay, so I'm going to preface this review with this. 1- arc provided for an honest review by the publisher and 2- this was not what I was expecting. SO i'm used to saucy, steamy, hot Alice. Now, this was hot, just not your normal hot. Viv lived more in her head in a steamy romance novel, minus the steam, throughout the majority of the book. The actual steam, kissing, touching, loving yumminess we love from Alice didn't happen til the last 5% of the book. That's a lot of waiting. A lot of angst. And the wait was ok, the story of Viv and the cowboy and the librarian is cute, it is, it's just a lot of waiting. A lot a lot a lot of waiting. Now, don't get me wrong the story is good, and it's one of the ones that suck you in and you ride the storyline like a rollercoaster with your characters. I'm just an impatient person, so me waiting all that time for the good stuff was really hard.

But I will say I was left with a few questions. What was the deal with Hank and Clark? Why did Hank act so different when Clark was around, and the same for Clark? I know it has to do with High School, but what happened? I would have liked to know more, minus that one bit of insight we are given, I have no clue what their beef is. Why does Hank no longer take care of the animals? What happened there?

Okay, so we've gotten that out of the way, now let's get back to why I liked it. It did suck me in. I was waiting to see how the story was going to pan out..was it going to be the cowboy or the librarian that Fate is throwing in her way, calling her across the country to run into. Alice does a great job of starting the story in one direction, then taking it a different way as far as the men are concerned. I just wish that Viv could have figured it out a little bit sooner. I know, I know, back to the waiting thing. I just am having a hard time accepting that it took 95% of the book to get there.

But I did love that we got a tad bit more of Mimi, Ryan, Caroline and Simon. And I love Viv's personality and that she is so fiercely independent. She has that quality of sass and humor you love in a female lead. Of course, you know Alice didn't disappoint in delivering us the humor, just maybe not as much as the previous books, but it was still there. She always does a great job of incorporating humor in with the heat, and Screwdrivered doesn't disappoint.It just almost had too much build up before something finally happened.

I still liked it. I give this 3.5 hearts


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment