Saturday, October 10, 2015

Sandie's Review of Confessions of a Kleptomaniac by Jessica Sorensen

Ahhhh I'm so excited that I received an eARC of this book by the amazing and talented Jessica Sorensen.


YA Contemporary Romance

Everyone thinks Luna Harvey is a good girl, but she has a dark secret. She’s a kleptomaniac. For years, Luna has managed to keep her secret from everyone, until one day she slips up and almost gets caught. Fortunately, Grey Sawyer steps in and saves her from getting into trouble.

Grey Sawyer is one of the most popular guys in school and hasn’t always been nice to Luna. While she’s grateful he helped her out, Luna worries he’ll tell everyone her secret and her good girl reputation will be ruined.

Grey understands Luna’s situation more than she realizes, though, because he has a secret of his own. One he desperately wants to tell Luna. But with their rocky past, he knows he’ll have to get her to trust him first and show Luna he’s not the guy he used to be. 


People often ask me why I still love to read YA books. Well there are many different reasons, sometimes I need to cleanse my pallet and indulge in sweet young love, you know before life taints the crap out of kids. 

If you read my reviews you know that I love YA in all genres and there are authors that stand out amongst the rest because they can take me back to that sweet place and Jessica Sorensen is one of those authors. When I got my kindle the first books I found were Jessica's. They are YA but OMG her writing is what kept me buying her books and I have bought and went through the journey of genres and stories which trust me is quite a few but the way she writes....Man it's just epic and this story is no different.

Right away you get a glimpse of Luna Harvey's life. She is the perfect student and her parents are a way too controlling for my taste but that is what sets the tone for her character. She reminds me of one of those kids who is bursting to do something wrong not to spite her parents but just to get them to relax the reigns a bit.
Luna has a secret one that could ruin everything. She slips and is caught by the popular guy in school Grey. Oh Grey!! 
Grey at this point could have let her secret out, instead he wants to help her. There is a catch that being that well Grey and his friends are kind of mean to Luna. Grey seems like the type of guy who has a seemingly easy life but just because on the outside everything looks good doesn't necessarily mean that it is.  Grey also harbors a secret.

They become friends and this is where I love how the story is written. I love the fact that Jessica got high school cliques so right. Grey's friends are the rude type of kids who tear others down to make themselves feel better but to watch alright read as the friendship between Luna and Grey flower and bloom to be there and read it, ah this is what I love about YA. Yes there are issues they need to overcome but who doesn't even teens have issues it's different than those of adults but the emotions are just as raw and real. 

When an author can tap into the youth and write about things so flawlessly it transcends the YA/NA/Adult genres. When it's written well I fall in love with the characters and the story. This book was no exception it once again shows that Jessica can dip her toe into any genre and knows how to get it right by sucking the reader in and taking them on a journey. I'm a busy woman so when I can relax and get pulling into the story and feel the emotions of the characters it's always a good thing, especially because I'm very picky. If you're leery about YA then begin with this book I promise you will not be disappointed.

  

Jessica Sorensen is the author of The New York Times and USA Today Bestsellers, The Secret of Ella and Micha, The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, and Breaking Nova, which are New Adult Contemporary novels.  She also writes Paranormal series, including the Fallen Star Series, Shattered Promises, Darkness Falls, and the Death Collectors. She loves writing and reading and is an avid watcher of TV series The Vampire Diaries and Modern Family.  An immense music lover,  Jessica immerses herself in her music as she writes.  She has a broad taste in music, and a list of favorite songs that goes on for miles!  A few of her current favorite bands are Chevelle, Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Brand New, Death Cab for Cutie, Flight 409, and Nirvana.  Some of Jessica’s favorite “watch it over, and over again” movies include Anywhere but Here, Juno, Pride and Prejudice, The Hangover, and Bad Teacher.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment